Saturday 5 December 2015

Fun & games in Geneva (I wish)

After a couple of days in Geneva it's clear that my visions of a carefree visit were pretty much pipedreams.  For starters the weather has turned from bad to worse.  No sign at all of the sun for several days now.  It may have gone to Australia for the summer.  More to the point, the conference has now started and is taking up most of my morning noon and nights.

A few observations about Geneva.  The city's pastime is definitely smoking.  I'm thinking of starting a Non-Smokers of Geneva United Club.  In an hour down town the other day I encountered about 7 possible members, so take up is likely to be quite slow.  Otherwise it's pretty civilised.  The public transport is great, and even I was able to master it within a day or so.  And it invariably runs on time (it IS Switzerland of course). 

Geneva calls itself the humanitarian capital of Europe.  I guess that's why Tony Abbott boasted (back when he was able to boast) that his foreign policy would be more Jakarta and less Geneva. I mean, you wouldn't want to align yourself with anything to do with humanity when you could adopt Indonesia as a role model.  Anyway, apart from being home to Red Cross, it's the European Headquarters of the UN.
 
The modestly named Palais des Nations.  Nearby are the Headquarters of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and High Commissioner for Refugees.  Also the International Labour Organisation.  No wonder Abbott didn't like it.  Still, the World Trade Organisation is also here, so it's not all bad. 
 
Back home where I come from we'd call this The Big Chair.
 
 
It's actually an exhibit erected in the 90s as part of the anti-landmines campaign (if you look closely you'll see why) and is now one of the most photographed attractions in town.  Outside the Red Cross conference is this graphic piece. 
 
 
 
It's to publicise Red Cross's campaign to stop violence against health care workers and facilities in armed conflict.
 
See the conversation starters I'm giving you, just from reading this blog?  No, no thanks necessary.
 
Tonight I'm going to a reception at the Australian Mission to the UN (if Abbott had had more time he would've closed it down), so I'd better be on my best behaviour.  The conference is likely to get more busy for me over coming days, including several threatened late nights, so I'll let know when I've been able to surface again.


No comments:

Post a Comment